• White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Tumblr Icon

CHALLENGE

On one hand we have customers that are trying to find help to lighten their workload but they find it difficult to find the help they need. On the other hand we have customers that are trying to grow their practice but they feel confused by the many channels that are available so they rely on informal, scattered networks. How can we help both sides find and connect with each other? This solution aims to address both side of this customer problem.

APPROACH

I used a double diamond design framework to execute this project. During the discovery phase I conducted generative research with almost 20 of our customers and captured themes and insights. This research lead to identifying that this was a two sided problem. There were a couple of rapid prototyping sessions with customers and eventually I landed on a product design that we will test with customers.

OUTCOME

During the discovery phase of this project a survey was completed by almost 800 of our customers. 70% of those respondents said they'd be interested in learning more about this service. I am currently working with our senior leaders to this service green-lighted. 

PROJECT BACKGROUND

The genesis of this project all began after I was awarded the Scott Cook Innovation Award at Intuit. One of the rewards for winning this prize is a three month project to work on anything that one wants to, as long as it pertains to Intuit business. 

I started my innovation time without a product or service in mind, but I knew that talking to our customers during the most painful part of their year would yield some visceral responses. I spent time with over 20 of our customers in their offices, on the phone, and in our offices. During this time there was a consistent theme of wanting to 'right-size' their practice - either by growing or shrinking their work loads.

Once I had a clear problem statement defined I was able to start the design phase. I employed several techniques to get customer feedback in creative ways. As a team of one I had to find ways to conduct rapid prototyping sessions, user testing and validation. 

This project has been shared with several senior leaders, including Scott Cook, and we are currently working to get this project architected and built.

DISCOVER

The discovery phase of this project was spent doing generative research with customers. I conducted in depth phone interviews to get an idea of big customer frustrations. As the research progressed I was able to visit customers in their offices for FMO's (follow me to the office) visits. During these field visits I observed the real day-to-day life of our customers. The interruptions, the hacks they've figured out, the rhythm of the day was all very informative. 

After synthesizing this large amount of data there were a few key insights that really captured the crux of both sides of the problem. 

  1. Our customers are looking to ‘right-size’ their practices (marketing, networking,) but are unable to connect with each other in one central place.

  2. Our customers are trying multiple methods to get their name out there (marketing) but the signal is diminished because it’s scattered over multiple channels.

  3. Some of our pros are looking to shrink their practice due to retirement but they’re not sure how to find a good home for their clients.

These key insights led to several opportunities for ideation and innovation. The next step was to put some definition around this project scope.

All the Stickies - this is one collection of notes/observations captured from a team synthesis session I led.

DEFINE

After gaining critical insights about our customers and their problems, I crafted a design brief to help get buy in and help define the remaining phases of the work.

Identifying the strategy and how this solution could fit into our offering line up was a major aspect of the definition phase. We have strategic priorities on every level of our organization and clearly defining the target customer, the business opportunity and technology fit were all included in this phase. These connections between the business and the customer helped to prioritize what was most important to both sides.

After determining the strategic fit I was able to move on to defining the personas, design principles, and current state customer journeys. 

Design Principles: These principles were the guiding principles  for the design phase of this project. 

Primary Personas: Personas crafted from customer research

DESIGN

The design process for this was a very fast paced, exciting time. During this phase I was able to connect with our customers to do some rapid iteration directly with them. I started with a basic design and shared it with one customer office. During the visit we were able find gaps in the experience and pivot based on those gaps.

Every night the designs were updated and tested with a different customer. This was a scrappy solution that yielded a great deal of refinements to the initial prototype.

After a week of testing with customers I finally had a solid set of design directions that I used to update the final prototype.

Prototypes and Notes: These artifacts were generated during customer prototyping sessions.

DELIVER

After all of this work was completed there was a delivery of the goods. In this case I created a read out which included a packet of information. 

Click the image on the right to open the final presentation. Since it's sensitive material it is password protected. If you would like to review it please contact me and I will provide the password.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to connecting!

Final Readout Deck: Click the image above to see the final readout presentation. This is a password protected PDF. If you would like access please contact me via email.